Thursday, March 1, 2012

Anitque Mirror

Yup!  Been falling down on my blogging again.  Actually, I've been falling down on a lot of things lately.  Seem to be in one of those "slumps" where I kinda walk around in circles, scratching my head and don't know exactly where to start.  But, I think I'm finding my mojo again.  Spent my day sanding two pieces of furniture.  I don't know.....  everything has to be right for me.  Ya' know, all the stars have to be aligned, the weather has to be just perfect.  I guess I'm a high maintenance furniture refinsher.  That's gotta stop!  Time to get SERIOUS! 

I picked up this mirror quite a while back.  It was an immediate emotional love affair.  There was just something about it that mesmerized me. 


It's been in the pile with all of my other "projects" for several months but it was always in the back of my mind.  Finally, last weekend I dug it out.  That was not an easy task but I came out alive!  It took an act of congress to get this baby out with no damage.  Nothing fell on me and nothing got broken so the junk Gods were shining on me once again!

She had so many missing pieces that had broken over the years.  I laid her out and began the task of disassembling her, the whole time holding my breath. 


I threatened to kill Pig Pen if he came anywhere close to the table while I was trying to remove the mirrors.  So far, so good. 


It was time to perform some much needed plastic surgery on this poor girl.  The wood was literally disintegrating!  I was afraid to breath on it!  I used the utility knife to cut off the pieces from one side that were missing from the other.  Then, I used this Welder glue (which is my MIRACLE GLUE) to secure all the pieces that were flapping in the wind.  I came to REALLY appreciate her at this point.  Wish I could use Welder to fix my flapping parts.  Ya' think I could fold up the skin under my arms and use this to glue it to my armpits?  Hmmmm....  food for thought! 

Next up...  a little wood putty to fill in her missing pieces.  Wishing I were made of wood right now.  This could do WONDERS for crow's feet! 


After the putty dried, I carefully sanded it to a smooth surface.  Then I mixed up some homemade white chalk paint and started painting.  After a couple of coats of paint, I mixed up a brown glaze and applied to make all the details stand out. 


I went back and forth....  to distress or not to distress.  I decided not to.  I was happy with her look as is! 


I thought the glaze "antiqued" her enough and brought out the details.  I didn't want to "over do" her. 


I get all giddy when I find a date stamped on an old piece!!!!  I was beside myself when I saw this stamped on the back of one of the mirrors.  Actually, it was stamped on all three but only this one was legible.  No wonder this poor girl was so brittle and her mirror so worn.  Love her even more now that I know her birthday!!! 


I'm more in love now than ever!!!!  Hulk made some comment tonight about selling her.  I didn't have the guts to tell him that I don't think I can part with her.  Think I'll just "hide" her away for a little bit and then while he's at work one day, I'll hang her in the spot I have reserved.  There's so much stuff around here, I doubt he'll notice????  She's mine!!!!  I rescued her from behind a bunch of old broken down TVs in a shack of a building.  We're "connected"!  She deserves better than to be "sold" like a cheap...... 

Until next time!!!!  Whenever that might be.  I want to be a good blogger.  Really, I do.  I know!  You're thinking, "yeah, we've heard that one before".  BUT, I'm really going to get it together. 

Love to you all!!!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty!! I am so with you on everything being just right to get anything done!!(Ugh!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Junky Jen!!!!!! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it---you must keep her, you never know when you'll find a gem like that again! I think she was meant to be yours---tell Hulk I said so!!! :) It's gorgeous, you do fabulous work, my friend.

    ReplyDelete