Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Fun With A Staple Gun

I hijacked hubby's electric staple gun about a year ago when I decided to recover my dining room chairs.  I've been in love ever since.  If you don't have one, you MUST get one!  Put it on your Christmas wish list! 

Over the weekend, I finally decided that enough time had passed for me to ONCE AGAIN work with the "Double Yucks".  After admiring their paint makeover for a while, the memories of their difficulty started to fade.  It was time to give them some clothes. 

For years my mom had been using chair pads on them.  You know the ones that tie on?  Inevitably, the ties would break and it was a constant battle with the cushions.  So, I decided I'd put a more permanent cushion on them to end her struggles.  I went back and forth as to how I was going to put the fabric on them.  Initially, I was going to make a new seat with plywood, cover that and attach from the bottom with screws.  After a lot of thought, I scrapped that idea.  Mostly because I was feeling lazy and I didn't feel like dealing with the saw.  Not to mention that I usually work on a whim and when I decide I want to do something, I can't be bother with small details like the fact that I didn't have the wood or wood screws. 


It's kind of hard to see in the before picture but they have a curved groove at the back of the seat.  I had some furniture nails, so I decided that I would use them along the curve and then wrap the fabric around the seat and staple it underneath.  Here's how it turned out. 


(yes, that is a dog behind the chair.  My neurotic Yorkie, Duncan.  He has a few issues)

I wasn't sure how I felt about nail heads in general.  They always reminded me of a very hideous 70's chair from my childhood.  However, I have definitely changed my tune now!  In fact, every thing I do in the future may be adorned with these lovelies!  I think they bring a bit of sophistication to this otherwise plain and boring chair.  OH, and the best part is the fabric!  Guess were I found it??????  The clearance rack at KMart.  Yup!  But you say.....  "KMart doesn't sell fabric"?  Nope but they do sell curtains.  I picked up two panels for $6 each (that will be $3 per chair when I get around to doing the other two).  Oh how I love a bargain! 

Now, the true test will be whether or not my mom likes them.  Our tastes are quite different.  Her fabric choice would probably be very bright vivid colors in a paisley or floral patter and that's what I intended to do but when I saw these curtains, I just knew it was right.  Hopefully, she will be okay with it.  If not, it can easily be changed. 

Well, it's the day before Thanksgiving and I'm sitting on my screen porch in shorts.  I LOVE this weather but it certainly doesn't feel like the end of November.  Everything is different this year, without Daddy.  I don't even know what's for dinner tomorrow.  Hubby says steaks and I'm okay with that.  Not really feeling the traditional thing this year.  Time to start new traditions I think.  So, little Pig Pen (my son) and I will decorate the Christmas tree tomorrow (while still wearing our shorts and flip flops).  ;-) 

I hope that everyone has a great day tomorrow and has countless things to be thankful for!!  Happy Thanksgiving! 

1 comment: